Thursday, June 2, 2011

Live Update

Quite a few stories are left untold, including the story of our final presentation to students at Hebei University of Economics & Business. Those stories will be told...just a little late, go figure.

Tonight was my last night in Shijiazhuang. Tomorrow we depart for Beijing and I catch a flight out of Beijing on Saturday. It's been quite an experience. Some quick observations:
  • Shijiazhuang is booming. The scale of development is almost inconceivable but in a way that seems more sustainable than what I saw in Dubai last year. They build on three year plans and the city is transforming before our eyes.
  • Students are students. Tom and I got to know a few of the students and they are smart and down to earth, although I never would have imagined being treated with such reverence by humans.
  • The people I've met are outstanding, from my CSC teammates to the ABV team to those at the University to locals to anyone associated with Phil. Quite pleased to have a number of new friends and people welcome in San Carlos anytime.
  • Very interesting to hear people talk about the overall climate over here. More on this later, perhaps.
  • Can't say enough good things about the food, even if I did have to dodge several menu items. Nevertheless, I can't wait to have good Mexican food and a big, juicy burger.
  • Does anyone want to go into the donut business with me in Shijiazhuang? The ratio of Chinese donut shops in SF to total donut shops in all of Shijiazhuang is huge.
  • Is it rude for me to say I'm very much looking forward to the level of cleanliness to which I'm accustomed?
I should sleep. Stay tuned for more...

No comments:

Post a Comment